Parish President Chester R. Cedars urges the public to respond to the 2020 census. The following are five key points of which you should be aware:
1. The Census Bureau counts the population of EVERYONE in the United States-not just those who are U.S. citizens.
2. Population numbers are used to decide Louisiana’s representation in the House of Representatives, to draw district boundaries, and to determine the distribution of $650 billion in annual federal funding for the next 10 years.
3. Therefore, your response is critical to insure that our municipalities, parish, and state receive a fair, legal allocation of federal funds for public matters such as hospitals, schools, social services, and senior citizen programs and to insure that our state and federal legislative and congressional districts are fairly and accurately drawn.
4. In March 2020, you will receive a postcard with a code, inviting you to complete the 10-minute Census form online. If anyone does not have access to any computer, please contact one of our Parish libraries.
5. By law, your response cannot be held against you and can only be used to produce statistics. It is against federal law for the Census Bureau to publicly release your responses in any way that could identify you or any member of your household.
Thus, please honor your civic duty and respond. Any questions you may have can be directed to www.2020census.gov.
Click here to view a replica of the Census Invitation letter which you will be receiving in March.